PDA

View Full Version : New Astra GSI Member

tgrant
21st January 2008, 07:37 AM
Hello all

Just purchased a 1996 Astra GSI as a first car for my son in Tassie. Found your site while searching for information on the car and have now joined up. I hope to be able to use the site if I have any particular questions about the car. My major concern at this stage is that the car has done 122,000km and is there any way of establishing whether the timing belt was replaced on the last service, short of going back to the workshop who performed the sevice. I am now aware of the service life of the timimg belt and the consequences of not replacing it sound expensive. The car appears fine at this stage and everything works and I am hoping for some trouble free miles.

Cheers Tim

oneightoo
21st January 2008, 07:59 AM
welcome to the site tim..

we share the same engine.. 122,000kms is nothing.. tho, when it comes to timing belts, if you're unsure, it's always best to change it anyway.. when they go bang, your wallet goes bang..

InsaneAsylum
21st January 2008, 09:01 AM
i'd rather spend $400 on a new timing belt than $4000 on a reconditioned head.

take that attitude and you wont have any problems.

btm
21st January 2008, 09:06 AM
welcome to the site tim, good low km's for an 11 year old car!

which corner of tassie are you from?

maloo97
21st January 2008, 10:17 AM
Welcome tim, As per other posts im going through the timing belt issue on my calibra atm, pullys as well, just get it done now save you a packet later when she blows. btw Enjoy your stay.

EL BURITO
21st January 2008, 12:51 PM
Hello and welcome

hope we can be of some help

When it comes to needing parts give the guys at AutoVaux.com a call it will be cheaper and for to the age they will for sure have the parts you are looking for compared to holden who couldn't give a rats about a car older than 4

tgrant
21st January 2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks for your prompt replies. It is good to see the forum has an active membership. I think I will get the timing belt replaced at the next service, Cheers for now.

Tim