PDA

View Full Version : Astra GTC confirmed for Australia

Milesy
9th February 2012, 08:22 PM
Great news Opel Australia has confirmed that the GTC will be part of the new Astra line up from launch!

http://m.theage.com.au/drive/motor-news/opel-astra-gtc-confirmed-for-australia-20120209-1rn5k.html

guy 27
9th February 2012, 08:28 PM
Was expecting a much higher price. That's great news

gmonkey
9th February 2012, 08:31 PM
Wait.. Astra gtc is against scirroco and megane rs? No its not thats the opc!! Gtc is against golf gti if anything

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

hazrd
9th February 2012, 10:13 PM
Wait.. Astra gtc is against scirroco and megane rs? No its not thats the opc!! Gtc is against golf gti if anything

who cares what its against... its coming to Australia and thats good enough for me! :D

gmonkey
9th February 2012, 10:39 PM
Gtc is virtually equal to my car or at best an Sri... $40k is steep imo

But yes glad its coming here

metry
9th February 2012, 10:48 PM
well atleast its coming hear but the power figures arent too crash hot. its gotta have power figures more inline with the golf GTi.

Btw how much will it weigh?

poita
9th February 2012, 11:29 PM

indeed it is!!

Wraecca
9th February 2012, 11:45 PM
:steve: :woohoo1:

Ok, I think I know which car I'm going to be looking at getting should this new job work out!!!

Now they just need to bring out the Insignia hatch, rather than just the notchback or sports tourer...

JohnBu
10th February 2012, 09:27 AM

Good news they are coming, but at under $40k, say $38k, it still looks pricey.

Golf GTI 3 Door manual is $39k and has a much better engine, power wise..

No point comparing it to the Scirocco R or Megane RS250 when it will be slower than even a GTI, that's the OPC's job.

It would have to be priced around the $33k mark to be competitive. 132kW and 230Nm isn't very impressive for a performance hatch. The Astra G Turbo has 147kW 250Nm and it's near 10 years old.

Not saying it's a bad car, but needs more curry to be a hot hatch. I'll welcome the OPC version.

gmonkey
10th February 2012, 09:56 AM
Means opc one will be close to $60k... Which then begs question megane rs for a decent amount cheaper or opc..

Also means insignia price for baseline 2.0t will be 50k or so

dsuhiti91
10th February 2012, 11:16 AM
5 grand too expensive to be competitive.

CNBLU
10th February 2012, 11:21 AM
for 60k theres alot of cars out there with some serious power and options

kabel
10th February 2012, 04:07 PM
Cannot see them selling too many OPC`s at 60k.
They will want to be as good as an AH Stage 3.5 VXR for me to consider letting go of my current car !

Walkinshaw Performance have anounced they will be doing performance upgrades for the turbo Cruze in the near future.
So I assume they will market Opel aftermarket down the track too.

Milesy
10th February 2012, 07:15 PM
I think you guys are very wide of the mark on the pricing. If you listen to what has been said by Opel Australia previously, they intend on directly targeting VW. Therefore you would expect pricing to match up with their VW equivalents or even undercut them. Speculation in previous posts of an OPC variant at $60k is just plain rediculous.

Anyway I can't wait to sample the new GTC as it has been getting rave reviews in Europe and even rated ahead of the Scirocco in some tests!

glider
10th February 2012, 09:49 PM
Gtc is virtually equal to my car or at best an Sri... $40k is steep imo

But yes glad its coming here

Hardly, has the 1.6 turbo with 132kw, your 1.8 is nowhere near that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... Coz apparently sigs are all the rage at the moment

chrissn89
10th February 2012, 10:59 PM
Cannot see them selling too many OPC`s at 60k.
They will want to be as good as an AH Stage 3.5 VXR for me to consider letting go of my current car !

Walkinshaw Performance have anounced they will be doing performance upgrades for the turbo Cruze in the near future.
So I assume they will market Opel aftermarket down the track too.

Link to the performance upgrades from Walkinshaw for the Cruze.
Edit: don't worry i found a press release

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

gmonkey
10th February 2012, 11:10 PM
Hardly, has the 1.6 turbo with 132kw, your 1.8 is nowhere near that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... Coz apparently sigs are all the rage at the moment

my comparision was not that of performance toby, what i meant is it is the equivalent of what my car/sri was to the AH series is this to this AJ series, it is the base spec/the daily runner/ not the performance model. it will come with cloth interior at $40k aka my car level of the market add leather etc sri level of the market.. well yes it has an engine with an extra 24kw, big deal would i spend an extra $10-15k on what was the AH equavilant for 24kw, the answer is simple No. Yes opel has to cover its costs for seperatly importing it and yes it more than likely will decrease if opel does take off, but till then it seems steep

Milesy
10th February 2012, 11:32 PM
I don't know why you think it will be $40k for the 1.6t GTC. If you read the article the figure was just a journalist's guess. Opel's position was that pricing was yet to be determined. So I would pay no attention to what a journalist thinks it will be.

Again like I said before, Opel have said they want to match up with VW, so clearly it won't be $40k because that is Golf GTi pricing and this car is below that.

Vectracious
12th February 2012, 12:03 PM
Good start with bringing a sports oriented model in initially. Although I see their point in bringing the 1.6T over, it would have been good if they brought a warmer version as well (or just the warmer version in the first place)

JohnBu
12th February 2012, 01:22 PM
I think they will bring in the OPC version as soon as it's available.

Be crazy not to have a halo version..and it should be a cracker!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Silver Surfer
12th February 2012, 01:37 PM
Motor mag drive report stated the gtc shares only door handles, antenna fin and wing mirrors with the stock bodyshell and packed full of high tech gear They estimate 32grand and heap nothing but praise on its power delivery and handling.Although claimed 8.3 0-100 aint much Also hint opc will be heading our way