PDA

View Full Version : Saab owner sues GM - Seeking $3B in damages!

btm
7th August 2012, 09:52 AM
http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/saab-owner-sues-gm-20120807-23r3w.html

Dutch supercar maker Spyker has filed a $US3 billion ($2.8 billion) lawsuit against General Motors for allegedly driving Saab into bankruptcy by derailing a bailout deal with Chinese investor Youngman.

Spyker, which owned Saab when the Swedish car maker was declared bankrupt in December last year, is seeking compensation for "unlawful actions" it says GM took to avoid competition in the Chinese market.

In a press release accompanying the filing, Spyker claims GM deliberately drove Saab into bankruptcy by interfering in a transaction between Spyker, Saab and Youngman that would have allowed Saab to restructure and remain solvent.

Spyker says its lawsuit has the support of a third party investor, who is providing financial backing in return for a financial stake in Saab "when the proceedings are successful".
Advertisement

Spyker chief executive Victor Muller, said in the statement: "Ever since we were forced to file for Saab Automobile's bankruptcy in December of last year, we have worked relentlessly on the preparation for this lawsuit which seeks to compensate Spyker and Saab for the massive damages we have incurred as a result of GM's unlawful actions.

"We owe it to our stakeholders and ourselves that justice is done and we will pursue this lawsuit with the same tenacity and perseverance that we had when we tirelessly worked to save Saab Automobile, until GM destroyed those efforts and deliberately drove Saab Automobile into bankruptcy."

A GM spokesman told US automotive industry website the lawsuit was "without merit".

"We will vigorously defend the company against these baseless allegations," he said.

Shadow110
7th August 2012, 11:08 AM
Yeh good luck with that... Lol

Ice
7th August 2012, 11:08 AM
Wouldn't surprise me...what's a couple thousand jobs to GM ? although maybe having saved thousands of others in the process to. Can see this one going on for a while!

benzino
7th August 2012, 12:56 PM
hahaha, when I read the title I thought it meant an owner of a saab rather than THE owner of saab... :rolleyes5:

I could just imagine a bespectacled and cardigan'd 9-5 owner taking out a $3bn lawsuit against GM... hahahahahaha

Numbnut
7th August 2012, 03:55 PM
Pretty sad if turns out to be true. Saab had that unqiue flavour and if they prove that GM did have a hand in it then it'll be a costly exercise for them.
Ironic if it costs more than keeping Saab afloat.

hazrd
7th August 2012, 09:47 PM
Seems a bit desperate tbh

dutchy
7th August 2012, 10:01 PM
As numbnut said, it's pretty sad if it were true. Guess we'll find out in a couple of years

Hoss
8th August 2012, 12:35 PM
The only winners will be the lawyers.

poita
8th August 2012, 12:36 PM
http://files.chesscomfiles.com/images_users/tiny_mce/Arctor/clutching_at_straws.jpg

gmonkey
8th August 2012, 09:44 PM
hahaha, when I read the title I thought it meant an owner of a saab rather than THE owner of saab... :rolleyes5:

I could just imagine a bespectacled and cardigan'd 9-5 owner taking out a $3bn lawsuit against GM... hahahahahaha

don't worry i read it the same way and even worse, i glanced at it and thought $3bn was $38, $38 seemed about correct to me for a saab driver, "the engine got a spot of oil on their $38 cardigan" :P

benzino
8th August 2012, 10:55 PM
hahahahahaha

also, good pic Pete