PDA

View Full Version : Brake upgrades

anicorsa
8th May 2004, 02:10 AM
Had a look at my brakes today. The pads are starting to wear thin. :shock: Only after 18000k's aswell....

Im pretty new when it comes to brakes, so i need some advice. I have a few Q's.

1. What kind of brands should i be looking at for aftermarket pads?
Obviously, stopping power is important, and low noise and dust would be great.

2. Going through the posts, it seems that EBC and Race Brakes are popular. Any others? which pads are good?

3. Should i go all out and do a full rotor/pads upgrade? How much would i be looking at paying? pads and rotors?

Any info would be great! :wink:

Degen-Astra
8th May 2004, 12:40 PM
If you can afford it...replace the rotors as well. BUT...if its a "NEED TO DO IT ASAP" job. Just go the pads.

My personal experience -
I found my new set up very nice - EBC Greenstuff pads are nice. Although some have raised their concerns about the dust that it does leave on your wheels. I havent experienced this as yet.

If its all your brakes that need replacing and your wanting to go the race/street type brakes (Slotted/drilled) - my advice is to stick with solid rear rotors and maybe a better rear pad. As for the front - personal choice - but i have found that with the current EBC Turbo Groove rotors and G/Stuff pads work VERY well together.
I bought all my stuff from Autospeed - and then got them fitted from the brake place down the road. All up cost me around 1k for all supplied and fitted - (Holden was going to charge me just for the standard rear pads supplied & fitted - $250!!)

George Costanza
8th May 2004, 12:53 PM
I got DBA rotors and Bendix Ultimates fitted on all fours yesterday.

They need to be worn in, but the mechanic told me that they'll perform great.

It cost me $1000 supplied and fitted. This included him fixing the clunking and grinding noise from the back brakes. I also gave him some silver paint for the calipers, and they look brand spankers. :wink:

Turblue
8th May 2004, 12:56 PM
Big brakes are great. But remember your tyres. Huge brakes with no rubber on the road is kinda defeating the purpose. :oops:

It still amazes me how much bite the brakes have in my car. It pulls up for me almost too hard if I stand on the pedal. But at least I know that it will stop if I ever need it to. :P

Only real problem I have is trying not to slide off the seat and end up under the dash...!!! :shock:

anicorsa
8th May 2004, 01:05 PM
$1000 is a alot. :shock: I'll wait for my rotors to wear out then.

I think i'll just get some new pads. So greenstuff is the s#$@ ? I'll check them out...

Anyone know anything about Race Brakes? are they good?

Degen-Astra
8th May 2004, 01:33 PM
Only real problem I have is trying not to slide off the seat and end up under the dash...!!! :shock:

Do we now have to organise a group buy on 6 point racing harnesses.

frankie9fingers
8th May 2004, 06:35 PM
Had a look at my brakes today. The pads are starting to wear thin. :shock: Only after 18000k's aswell....

not being a smat@rse (which i'm surprised Samvac hasen't beaten me to it) but, you could try braking a little earlier.

that amount of k's is extreme!!

anicorsa
8th May 2004, 08:04 PM

not being a smat@rse (which i'm surprised Samvac hasen't beaten me to it) but, you could try braking a little earlier.

:) Thats the funniest thing about it, i dont brake that hard. Well, some times i do. :P

I reckon i'll get another 3-4 months out of them, so its not that bad. I'll be surprised if i make it another 5 months.

sunny
9th May 2004, 12:08 AM
Anyone know anything about Race Brakes? are they good?

race brakes are good if they are warmed up ... also i believe they produce much less brake dust

heard RB74 are quite good ... dunno they price though

anicorsa
9th May 2004, 12:13 AM

Thats actually making me think now, maybe im checking them incorrectly... :?

How do you check brake pads? Just to make sure im doing it right, i didnt take the wheel off, i just visually inspected.

frankie9fingers
9th May 2004, 01:27 AM
have they started to make annoying sounds yet? or how much pad is actually left. The best way i find to check is to take the wheel off and inspect each end of the pad, just to be sure it hasn't tapered. to check the rotor. by law it has to be thicker than 22mm (front). any feel for grooves in the rotor, fine are ok its the big ones that are bad. Finally if there are grooves don't just change the pads, machine the rotors or you'll ruin the pads.

anicorsa
9th May 2004, 01:36 AM
Cool, thanks Frankie. :) So theres no way to check them without taking the wheel off? i must be doing it wrong then. :oops:

I'll have to thoroughly check them sometime soon.

frankie9fingers
9th May 2004, 01:55 AM
if you can see the pad tru the wheel and its got a bit (say 5mm thick) you should be fine for a while.

Aus-SRi
9th May 2004, 04:28 PM
Out of curiosity geroge how much was it just for the Bendix ultimates on all 4 corners??

anicorsa
11th May 2004, 02:16 PM
if you can see the pad tru the wheel and its got a bit (say 5mm thick) you should be fine for a while.

Cheers, i had a look, i think i should be fine for a while. :)

anicorsa
11th May 2004, 02:16 PM
How thick are pads when they are new?? :?:

BUGEYE
11th May 2004, 03:44 PM
I'm running Bendix Ultimates on my rex and reckon there da bomb!!! Have had them on for about 3 months now and really can't complain - a bit dusty maybe but who gives a sh*t - just make sure you wash your wheels once a week :wink:

George Costanza
11th May 2004, 06:05 PM
Out of curiosity geroge how much was it just for the Bendix ultimates on all 4 corners??

Heya Gianni,

Unfortunately he didnt give me individual prices. Just one big FAT BILL!! :P

tyrone
11th May 2004, 09:56 PM
what are the DBA part number for the Astra coupe Turbo and what are the prices??

Degen-Astra
11th May 2004, 10:56 PM
http://www.dba.com.au/rotors_passenger.asp?id=6866
DBA Website...

tofo
12th May 2004, 10:01 AM
Will changing rotors have any effect on ESP or ABS?

Jass
12th May 2004, 10:11 AM
I wouldnt think so, specially if you going for the same size rotors but just in slotted on cross drilled.

If your going bigger then it might. like a 350mm disc at the front, probobly wouldn't fit in the astra T